Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm busy "nesting" today

After a little over a year in my new house, things are finally beginning to get done.

When we'd moved in, the plumbing hadn't been up to code. So the plumbers were called in, and they had to cut holes in the ceiling of two of my rooms down on first floor - in my bedroom cum office and in the outer hall. And of course they never bothered to fix them.

My sister was perfectly prepared to do the sheet rocking at the time - way back when I had no furniture down here and it would have been easy - but my dad wanted to use the handyman who had worked for the previous owners because he was former Air Force and needed the money.

But it's a year later and he's just now getting to it - I've had holes in ceiling for over a year, and now I've got furniture everywhere and it's just stupid...

Plus the guy is doing things slowly, he sheetrocks one hole every Saturday. He's got one more hole to go, which will hopefully be this upcoming Saturday, and then he'll probably come back the next Saturday to do the tape and the mud and the textured paint, and then he'll be done.

I don't really blame him for taking so long - he told my dad last year he didn't really have time to do it (even though, if he'd needed the money, I would've thought that he would have made time.) But my dad says sure, take your time, no hurry. Well, there's no hurry for him, he hasn't had to live with holes in his ceiling for over a year! And he doesn't have to work around the moved furniture that has to stay like it is so the sheet rock stuff won't get over everything...

So, since I have no control over the two rooms where this is taking place and the look of them, I'm trying to assert my control in the places where I do have control - my bathroom which now has some Japanese posters on one side and some vicious Jurassic-era sea monsters on the other side.

And, out in the lawn.. which due to the clay soil here is nothing but clumps of grass amidst dirt. So, in a few minutes my dad is taking me to a concrete place and I'm going to get 20 concrete blocks to make up a square, and in it put a nice rock garden.

Long story short...I"ll post something Scrabble-y later today, right now I'm busy designing my garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment