Saturday, May 12, 2012

Assault on the Bee

Turns out, the Aug 11 Bee prize is only $1,000 for first, $500 for 2nd, and $300 for 3rd. I had read the news report from last year's bee, and that was the one for $5,000. So they must have lost a sponsor between then and now.

Still, $1,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Nor is $300. I'd be happy with that.

Books I checked out of the library yesterday:

Barron's Spelling The Easy Way
Improving Your Spelling
I Always Look Up the Word Egregious
Better Spelling in 5 Minutes a Day
1001 Commonly Mispelled Words

I don't know that any of these will do me any good. These are for people who need help with "average" spelling, if I may call it that. I have no problem with that. I have an excellent memory and an excellent vocabulary.

The book I need is the Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary,. edition 11, which I ordered last night. That's the book from which all the words will be taken for this Bee.

On the other hand - I have always had trouble with "connoisseur" - but I've got that down pat now. And "reconnaissance." Two Frenchy words!

No comments:

Post a Comment