Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Logistics of the Labor Day Tournament

I live in Cheyenne. The Labor Day Tournament is in Irving, TX, a minimum of a 12-hour drive.

I hadn't fully considered the logistics of this when I'd asked people from my Scrabble club if they wanted to come with me.

Since I work from home, I can leave on Thursday, or Friday, and take my time coming back, leaving Tues and getting back Wed. A nice leisurely drive that someone like me needs. (I get sick if I don't get a lot of sleep - migraine-headache inducing sleep that I really, really don't want to have to go through again!)

One of my Scrabble club members has shown great enthusiasm for this.. but she has to work Friday night so we wouldn't leave until after she gets done, and she has the type of job where she doesn't know when she'll get done...it might not be to 9 at night! So we'd drive through the night and pray to arrive there in time?

No...I don't think so.

And of course, so that she could get back to her job on Tuesday, we'd have to drive all through the night on Monday.

These are logistics that I had not thought of when I'd made the invitation, and I really can't do it that way.

I hate to go back on an invite - we'd intended to split gas and cost of hotel room and she's already making plans - but health wise I just can't do it that way.

So I'll be making up a "logistics chart" of when we'd have to leave and when we'd have to come back, and how, and if she doesn't think she can do that, I'll have to rescind the invitation.

A couple of other folks had also expressed an interest, but the same problem applies with them - managing to get Friday and Tuesday off...

It might be that those folk who work can come down together, and do the driving all night thing, and I'll just go down on my own, handling my own gas...but we could still split the cost of the hotel room.

We'll see on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment