Monday, July 23, 2012

Procrastination is a killer

I'm going thorugh my Merriam's Websters Dictionary, 11th Edition., writing down each word - including those I know, on a page of my notebook, 4 columns to a page.

I'm still in the As. Three days, and I haven't even finished the As.

Some of it isn't my fault. Typically, I had a toothache last night, got no sleep, so slept several hours today. I only got through a couple of pages, therefore. (I had "real work" to do as well.)

This morning, I'll have to go to the dentist, I fear a root canal is in order. So I won't be feeling like doing any work today, I'm sure. Another day lost.

Well...it's time to start planning for the future. Even if I totally tank this Spellng Bee, there'll be another one next year. And if I study at least two hours every day for that...I've got a good chance of winning. Much more so than studying for 26 more days from now til Aug 11, which is what I'm doing right now.

I have some slight confidence - according to the instructions at the AARP website, each person gets 3 chances - 3 ! - to spell the same word. So assuming I don't choke, if I mispell a word I can fix my mistake and have 2 more shots at it. So if i say the prefix of -able instead of -ible, for example, or something like that, I know what to change for my second or third chance to fix it.

What's got me worried of course is the polysyllabic Greek or Latin words for medicines, names of trees, etc., with their ae's and their eu', etc.

Well, we'll see.

But once I start studying seriously, as I will be as soon as I get this damn tooth taken care of, I might as well carry on until next year. Use this year as a training exercise, learn the ropes, see how I react to having to stand up in front of an audience (presumably there'll be an audience) and spell a word, etc.

So...we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment