Monday, February 13, 2012

Scrabble Face

When I play in this tournament over Labor Day, what "scrabble face" (as opposed to Poker Face) will I adopt?

I'm going to register for the lowest common denominator - but who knows if I'll be facing newbies like myself or experienced players who just aren't good enough to advance to the next level... but still able to crush a newbie?

Do I want to go in there all suave and cool? "Gilt-edged, glamorous and sleek by design." Why yes I do. Of course to do that I'll have to lose 60 pounds...you can't be glamorous or sleek when you're overweight. Unless you're 6 feet or so. But 5 ft 4? No.

The reason I'm thinking about this - at this time anyway - is because for the last two days I've come up against nothing but Rudeniks at Word Biz. You say hi, they don't say hi back. I hate that. I totally understand not wanting to talk *during* the game, but would it be too much to ask to respond to a simple pleasantry at the beginning of the game? For the 6 people I played with in the last two days, apparently so. Which is fine if I beat them, but if they beat me, which all six of these folk did, it cuts a little deeper. Because - 4 out of the 6 times, I lost because my tiles stank. I'd have all vowels or all consonants - turn in three or four tiles and get the same thing again! Meantime my opponent is racking up the points while getting ALL of the power letters.

Oh, that's just irksome!

So when I'm playing in this tourney in September, and I'm face to face with a live person beating me badly (should that happen) because I can't get any tiles...

Well, I have six months to rehearse my Scrabble Face and come up with some approptiate dialog to cover every situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment