Tuesday, November 27, 2012

1995 total words used from Scrabble Dictionary

When I play Scrabble on WordBiz, I write down the date of each game, and all the words I use, in a notebook I use for the purpose. I also highlight each word used in blue in my Dictionary. I also transfer all the new words I use into an Excel spreadsheet.

Up until about 4 weeks ago, whenever I wanted to input new words into the Excel spreadsheet, I'd have to type in the words for every day, then sort them alphabetically and delete the duplicates.

4 weeks ago I got smart. Now, when I go through the Dictionary to see if I've used a word or not, I also highlight any new words in my notebook. That way, when I transfer those words into an Excel spreadsheet, I only have to type in a couple words per game - usually no more than 6. That takes a heckuva less time than my previous method.

My excel spreadsheet has a column for words, and a column for the date when I first used each word.

I normally sort it alphabetically by word, but I envision  in future sorting it by date also. It's sometimes fun to see how a word progresses. For example a few days ago I spelled HARE, and a couple of turns later, spelled a word off of it, turning it into HAREM.

Sometimes, I have to admit, I do this even though it gets me fewer points than if I were to spell a word somewhere else. My goal after all is to use every word in the Scrabble Dictionary, so I've got to grab words when I can. Actually winning the game is secondary!

No comments:

Post a Comment